Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to MAP ecu & could dop with a few pointers pls

Default New to MAP ecu & could dop with a few pointers pls

Hi, I have just bought a map ecu and as far as I can tell it is unused. It has come with no software or documentation, but can see on here there are various guides so am sure I can fit it ok. My Car is a JDM mkiv supra 2jzgte and am currently running it bpu at around 1.2bar with good results. I want the MAP ECU for fine tweeking rather than using the SAFCII I have and was going to use.

OK, my first question is that so far the maps I have found seem to be written for 550cc injectors, mine has the stock JDM 440cc injectors and I wasn't really thinking of upgrading these to UK or US spec 550s unless I really have to. So, can I use one of the proven maps available and written for 550s and scale back the injector size by 20%? Or, is there already maps about for the 440s?

Also, I notice that there seems to be different versions of software available for the MAP, can someone point me to what software I need to run and where to get it from please?

Is there a explanation on getting started with the MAP ECU I could look at or download?

Thanks for all the dumb newbie questions.

Shane

Doh...Sorry, just realised that I have managed to put this into "wiring", could a mod please move this to Technical or a more suitable topic, thanks.
    Last edited by Shane; 24th-December-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added a bit, as realised I am dumber than I thought.

Hi Shane,

Firstly you need to use the JDM specific wiring diagram and base table. The JDM OEM ECU us MAP sensor based so a USDM base table will not work. The base table for a JDM on our website is configured to mimic the OEM MAP sensor so it will run 100% normally with the MAP-ECU and OEM injectors.

You should use MAP-CAL V2.3 for your MAP-ECU (red box) which is on our website under Support. I recommend you download the MAP-ECU and MAP-CAL PDF manuals under the Support section too. Although the MAP-CAL V2.3 screens are a little different than the manual the content is the same.
    MAP-ECU Support

Quote Originally Posted by MAP-ECU Man View Post
    Hi Shane,

Firstly you need to use the JDM specific wiring diagram and base table. The JDM OEM ECU us MAP sensor based so a USDM base table will not work. The base table for a JDM on our website is configured to mimic the OEM MAP sensor so it will run 100% normally with the MAP-ECU and OEM injectors.

You should use MAP-CAL V2.3 for your MAP-ECU (red box) which is on our website under Support. I recommend you download the MAP-ECU and MAP-CAL PDF manuals under the Support section too. Although the MAP-CAL V2.3 screens are a little different than the manual the content is the same.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I guess I can now dispense of the voltage limiter I currently have strapped across my map sensor acting as a FCD once I have the MAP ecu connected up and running then? Oh and yes it's the red one I have. Have just looked on the website and found the info you refer to, great, thanks again, Shane
    Last edited by Shane; 24th-December-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Yes, you can dispense with the FCD by making sure the fuel table values are below the FCD clamp voltage. For example, the maximum value in the fuel table should be 3521 which is the equivalent of 4.3V.

BTW,if you want to get really trick, you can setup the fuel table so it instigates fuel cut on over boost (assuming you are not already using the full +30psi of the fuel table) as a safety mechanism. Let me know if you want to do that.
    MAP-ECU Support

Yes, you can dispense with the FCD by making sure the fuel table values are below the FCD clamp voltage. For example, the maximum value in the fuel table should be 3521 which is the equivalent of 4.3V.

BTW,if you want to get really trick, you can setup the fuel table so it instigates fuel cut on over boost (assuming you are not already using the full +30psi of the fuel table) as a safety mechanism. Let me know if you want to do that.
    Hi and thanks again for the reply. Yes I like the sound of that. I have been doing something similar to this using a second map sensor along side the stock one, letting the stock one do the fuel bit up to the clamp level and the second one then letting the voltage exceed the cut level when I boost over 1.2. Reason I have to use a second sensor for this is because over about 1.1 bar the oem gives meaningless and inconsistant results.

So if I can do all this with the mapecu I would be very happy, thanks.

The harness and plug assy for my ecu is missing and I was going to improvise and make my own, but to keep it tidy, do you sell the plug and harness separately?

Thanks again and happy new year.

Shane

Thanks Shane, happy new year to you too. We do not sell the MAP-ECU parts anymore but the MAP-ECU2 16-Way will work that you can purchase from our website. It just has some extra wires that you cannot use.
    MAP-ECU Support

Well its been a long time since I started this thread, but I have finally got round to fitting my Map ECU today only one and a half years...

OK so after a big fight with my lap top I finally got it to work with a serial to USB adapter and talking to the ECU, I have loaded the JDM MKiv Supra base map you suggested and had to tweak the max and idle tps settings, but only by a tiny amount to get them to read exactly 100% correct. The car starts but it doesn't like it at all and I struggle to keep it running. Everything on the screen, rpm, pressure, tps etc seems to work so I guess its wired ok and I have checked and double checked this. I haven't had chance yet to read the fault code, but I noticed my MIL was on telling me there was a fault code stored. For now I have stuck a STDP toggle switch on the map sensor feed to the supra ecu so I can switch between stock and the MAPECU, when I switch back to stock it seems to start and idle fine so I am sure no damage has been done.

One observation is that the map is set for a wideband o2 sensor, I currently have the stock narrow band connected. Should I change this setting or even disconnect the o2 sensor feed to the MAPECU?

Another thing occurred is that the stock ECU had been disconnected for a few hours today while I was doing it, so I guess that has reset and gone back to the default map and now will slowly re-learn whats happening during its next outing, could this be the issue when I have the MAPECU connected that it isn't happy because it is in it default condition?

Is it worth me trying to run the learn feature? I was reluctant to do this just yet as my understanding was that the jdm map emulates the stock map sensor exactly so I felt for now and to get it running I shouldn't need to do that, but maybe I have read that wrong.

It seems to run V2.3 ok and for reference the Serial No. is 010683.

Thanks for your time and I would appreciate any guidance you or anyone else could throw my way. Once I get it running, I would love to take you up on your offer for some guidance to configure it to re-introduce fuel cut at higher boost.

Sorry for so many questions.

Shane

OK FF next day:
    So today I checked all my connections by buzzing through from the Mapecu connector to the stock ecu connector and 100% all correct. Loaded another map from the site just in case, this time the JDM with FCD and pretty much the same symptoms. Starts with a bit of throttle, doesn't idle and the only way I can keep it running is by giving it some gas and it smells very rich and MIL light on.

I then switched back to the oem map sensor and it started fine, so next I put a T piece in the air feed to the map sensor so both oem map sensor and the MAPECU were seeing the same air supply. Started the car on the stock sensor but this time ran mapcal at the same time. Car runs fine and mapcal showing me rpm, tps position and vacuum. I put my meter on the green wire and can see the sort of voltage you would expect, ie. fluctuation with throttle and under 5V.

I then switched back to the MAPECU but this time left the meter connected to the green wire so I could see what sort of voltage was coming out of the MAPECU, this time the voltage was all over the place at idle, I say idle, I have to hold it above 1k to keep it going and I also notice that when I ease off the throttle it even goes over 5V at times which I find strange and of course is in fuel cut territory.

I have disconnected the narrow band o2 sensor feed to the MAPECU and it doesn't really seem to make any difference connected or not.

I am really starting to think that I may have a dud MAPECU sadly, very annoying as I have left it way too long to test to go back to the seller over. I would love to get it working as I really don't want to go back down the SAFC route as I like the features the MAPECU offers.

Any pointers at what I should try next? I do appreciate the MAPECU is a discontinued line and appreciate any time you or someone else reading this could afford to possibly help me, thanks.

I have read the stored fault code and it's 31, that's "open or short in air flow circuit at less than 3k rpm".

Oh and one other thing, I notice that when I load a map, in the status bar on the bottom left it shows me writing the lines and then right at the end it sometimes reports an error, I cant read exactly what the error is as the text exceeds the box size, could this be my problem? I wondered maybe that if it doesn't completely load, does it maybe revert back to whatever it was previously loaded with?

Sorry for the information overload, I just want to be sure that I have given you as many facts as possible to help you help me.

Shane
    Last edited by Shane; 1st-June-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: correction and added a bit.

Wow, so much information so I hope I can do it justice.

The JDM operation is very simple as the OEM ECU is MAP based anyway. That is why the base table is so simple. The main inputs are RPM and vacuum, TPS is not important.

There are some really funny things going on as the MAPECU cannot output more than 5V. The thing I worry about when I read your story is that there is a problem with the Ground wire. We have seen OEM ECU ground wiring cause similar problems where the Ground fluctuates. That is the only way the MAPECU output can go over 5V.

I would also be very useful to see a screen shot from the MAPCAL Dashboard.
    MAP-ECU Support

Wow, so much information so I hope I can do it justice.

The JDM operation is very simple as the OEM ECU is MAP based anyway. That is why the base table is so simple. The main inputs are RPM and vacuum, TPS is not important.

There are some really funny things going on as the MAPECU cannot output more than 5V. The thing I worry about when I read your story is that there is a problem with the Ground wire. We have seen OEM ECU ground wiring cause similar problems where the Ground fluctuates. That is the only way the MAPECU output can go over 5V.

I would also be very useful to see a screen shot from the MAPCAL Dashboard.
    OK thanks.

Well for now I have had to go back to stock as I need the car as my daily and it's back to work tomorrow. I doubt if I will get a chance to play with it again now until next weekend, but will video the screen and then upload the video to a host site like photobucket and send you the link. I am 99.9999% its not the earth, I am spliced into the ECU earth, soldered and heatshrunk, but for the sake of a few more minutes I will double check this.

You say there is no way it can go above 5v, I guess that's because there will be a 7805 or something along those lines inside the unit? If so I am wondering if there is a dry joint on the reference leg, just thinking aloud really.

Will get back to you and thanks for your continued help.

Shane

It's always possible there is a problem with the voltage regulator, but we have never seen it before. I am not so much worried about your solder/heatshrink as the OEM ECU pin. We have seen many high resistance pins on the OEM ECU connector. Check for a voltage between the MAPECU ground and chassis. It should be zero.

Don't worry too much about a video, just a screen shot. I assume you know how to grab a screen shot to the clipboard using the PrintScreen keyboard key. You can then paste into Windows Paint.exe and crop the image. Save it as a JPEG and you can upload to the forum.

Also, also check the "MAF 0" value under ECU Configuration is 2170 to simulate the a MAP sensor at sea level.
    MAP-ECU Support