Thread: New to MAP ecu & could dop with a few pointers pls

Hybrid View

Default New to MAP ecu & could dop with a few pointers pls

Hi, I have just bought a map ecu and as far as I can tell it is unused. It has come with no software or documentation, but can see on here there are various guides so am sure I can fit it ok. My Car is a JDM mkiv supra 2jzgte and am currently running it bpu at around 1.2bar with good results. I want the MAP ECU for fine tweeking rather than using the SAFCII I have and was going to use.

OK, my first question is that so far the maps I have found seem to be written for 550cc injectors, mine has the stock JDM 440cc injectors and I wasn't really thinking of upgrading these to UK or US spec 550s unless I really have to. So, can I use one of the proven maps available and written for 550s and scale back the injector size by 20%? Or, is there already maps about for the 440s?

Also, I notice that there seems to be different versions of software available for the MAP, can someone point me to what software I need to run and where to get it from please?

Is there a explanation on getting started with the MAP ECU I could look at or download?

Thanks for all the dumb newbie questions.

Shane

Doh...Sorry, just realised that I have managed to put this into "wiring", could a mod please move this to Technical or a more suitable topic, thanks.
    Last edited by Shane; 24th-December-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added a bit, as realised I am dumber than I thought.

Hi Shane,

Firstly you need to use the JDM specific wiring diagram and base table. The JDM OEM ECU us MAP sensor based so a USDM base table will not work. The base table for a JDM on our website is configured to mimic the OEM MAP sensor so it will run 100% normally with the MAP-ECU and OEM injectors.

You should use MAP-CAL V2.3 for your MAP-ECU (red box) which is on our website under Support. I recommend you download the MAP-ECU and MAP-CAL PDF manuals under the Support section too. Although the MAP-CAL V2.3 screens are a little different than the manual the content is the same.
    MAP-ECU Support

Quote Originally Posted by MAP-ECU Man View Post
    Hi Shane,

Firstly you need to use the JDM specific wiring diagram and base table. The JDM OEM ECU us MAP sensor based so a USDM base table will not work. The base table for a JDM on our website is configured to mimic the OEM MAP sensor so it will run 100% normally with the MAP-ECU and OEM injectors.

You should use MAP-CAL V2.3 for your MAP-ECU (red box) which is on our website under Support. I recommend you download the MAP-ECU and MAP-CAL PDF manuals under the Support section too. Although the MAP-CAL V2.3 screens are a little different than the manual the content is the same.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I guess I can now dispense of the voltage limiter I currently have strapped across my map sensor acting as a FCD once I have the MAP ecu connected up and running then? Oh and yes it's the red one I have. Have just looked on the website and found the info you refer to, great, thanks again, Shane
    Last edited by Shane; 24th-December-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Yes, you can dispense with the FCD by making sure the fuel table values are below the FCD clamp voltage. For example, the maximum value in the fuel table should be 3521 which is the equivalent of 4.3V.

BTW,if you want to get really trick, you can setup the fuel table so it instigates fuel cut on over boost (assuming you are not already using the full +30psi of the fuel table) as a safety mechanism. Let me know if you want to do that.
    MAP-ECU Support

Quote Originally Posted by MAP-ECU Man View Post
    Yes, you can dispense with the FCD by making sure the fuel table values are below the FCD clamp voltage. For example, the maximum value in the fuel table should be 3521 which is the equivalent of 4.3V.

BTW,if you want to get really trick, you can setup the fuel table so it instigates fuel cut on over boost (assuming you are not already using the full +30psi of the fuel table) as a safety mechanism. Let me know if you want to do that.
    Hi and thanks again for the reply. Yes I like the sound of that. I have been doing something similar to this using a second map sensor along side the stock one, letting the stock one do the fuel bit up to the clamp level and the second one then letting the voltage exceed the cut level when I boost over 1.2. Reason I have to use a second sensor for this is because over about 1.1 bar the oem gives meaningless and inconsistant results.

So if I can do all this with the mapecu I would be very happy, thanks.

The harness and plug assy for my ecu is missing and I was going to improvise and make my own, but to keep it tidy, do you sell the plug and harness separately?

Thanks again and happy new year.

Shane

Thanks Shane, happy new year to you too. We do not sell the MAP-ECU parts anymore but the MAP-ECU2 16-Way will work that you can purchase from our website. It just has some extra wires that you cannot use.
    MAP-ECU Support