Thread: 1998 lexus gs300 2jzgte vvti aristo swap with EUGO wideband o2 wiring help

Default 1998 lexus gs300 2jzgte vvti aristo swap with EUGO wideband o2 wiring help

So I picked up a mapecu and tried wiring it for learn mode but something wasnt right and couldnt get it to say anything but lean, unless I turned on Use AFM In for 02, then it only read rich. Tried changing fuel table and used a few different base maps, nothing changed. So I bought a UEGO wideband o2 (30-4110) and now I am not sure how to wire it with the MAPECU which I was going to try to re-wire to normal operation mode and write a base map (since when I tried writing it in learn mode wiring, nothing was changing, AFM stayed the same. I bought the mapecu used, so the air temp sensor is broken btw, I could not use that (not sure if I need it). So, along with wiring instructions, I also cannot find the right o2 file that I need for mapcal, updated version too.

Im on stock twins, manual boost controller, 440cc injectors, walbro 255, using aristo ecu, maf sensor not map, took off everything past the downpipe & O2
    Last edited by stack96; 26th-March-2016 at 11:44 AM.

I think we might need to clarify learn mode. BTW, it is discussed in the MAPECU PDF manual.

Learn mode was developed for the early days of MAPECU when we had very few base tables so it offered a way to build a fuel table from the MAF sensor. It does not use the wideband. So you wire the MAPECU in passive mode, i.e. the orange MAF wire connects to the MAF sensor wire and the you DO NOT CUT the MAF sensor wire. You zero the fuel table and put it in learn mode. As you drive normally on the MAF sensor the MAPECU grabs the voltages and populates the fuel table. It is OK as a starting point but does not give you a fully drivable fuel table.

Now we have so many base tables, we hardly use learn mode.

I hope that explains learn mode.
    MAP-ECU Support

Sorry, perhaps my first post was a little all over the place, ill try to rephrase and add some more info. I do really appreciate the quick reply though. So yes, I do understand what learn mode is and was going to use it to get a base table at first but I could not figure out why my AFR would not do anything but say lean or a high 17-18 number and then flash lean every second or so, even after I tried changing fuel table values.

So, now I want to put it in normal operation mode to try the base table but my Air temp sensor does not work.

So, I just have 4 questions for you, if you could answer them i would greatly appreciate it:

Do I need the Air temp sensor installed as the normal operation diagram shows?
    How to I go about installing my EUGO wideband in this setup?
    Do I need an o2 file for mapcal, if so, where can I find it for my model (30-4110)?
    Should I have the "Use AFM In for o2" checked or not?
    Last edited by stack96; 27th-March-2016 at 03:29 AM.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just remember the MAPECU will not output a good MAF signal in learn mode, it is only designed to be "listening" so you have to use the MAF sensor. I don't understand why the AFR's are all over the place when you are running on the MAF sensor?

Do I need the Air temp sensor installed as the normal operation diagram shows?
    Yes, you must install a IAT connected to the OEM ECU otherwise it will usually run very rich in a sort of limp mode.

How to I go about installing my EUGO wideband in this setup?
    You connect the 0-5V analog output of your EUGO to the yellow wire of the MAPECU and configure the AFR lookup in MAPCAL Configuration by selecting the right .o2 file.

Do I need an o2 file for mapcal, if so, where can I find it for my model (30-4110)?
    AEM generally use the same 0.5V range but it doesn't work we will have to check the 30-4110 manual. Did you have a look at the wideband thread on the forum for diagrams and newer .o2 files?

Should I have the "Use AFM In for o2" checked or not?
    The original MAPECU O2 input (yellow wire) was limited to 0-4V so to display the full range of AFR's from a 0-5V wideband we added the option to use the orange MAF input wire for the wideband to get full range 0-5V. So if you want to display the full range of your wideband, then yes you have to use the Orange MAF Input wire instead of the yellow wire and check this box.

Hope this helps. Please confirm, you just have the original red MAPECU1?
    MAP-ECU Support