Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General set up

Default General set up

First off Iím working with a 2006 Tacoma 2tr-fe NA 4 cylinder 5 speed with a few mods (cold air intake, port and polished head, OBX header, flowmaster and pedal commander. This truck is 4x4 with a 7Ē lift running 35ís.

In anticipation of my AFR sensor coming in (learned through forum browsing one was necessary) Iíve been monitoring timing, map and fluctuations between OL and closed loop in the stock ecu with my obd2 scanner.

Iíve successfully loaded mapcal on my laptop (windows 8) and upgraded the firmware on my mapecu3 so I know that end works. My questions are as follows.

1: On initial startup of car with mapecu3 wired in will the fuel and timing tables automatically show what the stock ecu is putting out?

2: If mapecu3 is unplugged from vehicle will the engine revert back to stock parameters?

3: Will I be able to log the data from the stock ecu without a tbl loaded in to the mapecu3?

This seems like a fantastic forum and a close family with vast experience and knowledge so I hope to learn all I can and help others with the proper knowledge in the future. Thank you for reading my initial post.

Welcome to the MAPECU Forum!

I'll answer your questions below:

On initial startup of car with mapecu3 wired in will the fuel and timing tables automatically show what the stock ecu is putting out?
    It depends on the MAPECU3 mode, but assuming you are configured in MAF Intercept, TPS Y-axis (for NA), then you will see the OEM ECU MAF Voltage displayed but stock ignition timing will not be displayed unless you have a VR interface. The fuel and ignition timing tables are in intercept mode so the tables in the MAPECU3 are offsets, i.e. negative to reduce fuel and retard timing, positive to add fuel and advance timing.

If mapecu3 is unplugged from vehicle will the engine revert back to stock parameters?
    Yes, completely. Just clear the OEM ECU learned fuel trims by pulling the EFI fuse for a few minutes.

Will I be able to log the data from the stock ecu without a tbl loaded in to the mapecu3?
    You can log data using MAPCAL but if it is not configured correctly, some of the readings might be off.

Hope that helps.
    MAP-ECU Support

Default tbl and wiring

2TR-FE.tbl

2trfe wiring from forum.pdf

This is the table I have set up so far and the wiring I'm planning on using. The main points for the table set up came from the wiring diagram.

Mode: MAF Intercept, MAP Y-axis (Connect internal MAP sensor to plenum vacuum nipple)
    Ignition: 4 Cylinder, Coil on Plug
    KVF Input: SPD
    Speed Cut Frequency: 135
    Switched Output #1: IGF
    Switched Output #3: SPD LOW
    Analog Output #3: AFR

Do I still need a VR interface to properly adjust my timing?

But if I don't necessarily care to see the actual numbers and simply wish to modify the current timing from a "0" then I'm ok right?

Thanks for the base table and info. We have a few recommendations:
    1. If you are staying NA, then you shouldn't need the AFR Calibrator. That is primarily for NA to forced induction conversions.
    2. Equally, if you are staying NA, we usually recommend TPS Y-Axis as MAP Y-Axis is not as reliable.
    3. You need to make sure you zero the fuel table as it is maximum negative at the moment.
    4. When you install in the truck, remember to calibrate the TPS sensor.
    5. You don't need the VR interface to adjust timing, it is only to display OEM ECU base timing, and it would use the KVF input which you want to use for the SPD cut.

Other than that, I think you are OK.
    MAP-ECU Support

Default Updated

Thank you for the speedy replies first off.
    I was under the impression that the AFR calibrator was necessary to adjust the fuel while the truck is in closed loop mode. After monitoring the engine through my obd2 scanner it fluctuates between the two. I was also under the impression that having the AFR calibrator would allow me to aim for the magical 14.7 AFR.

I have updated my ecu configuration based on your advice as well as understand why it was a better idea as mentioned in point 2 and 3. So should I not worry about following the manual for the MAF Elimination Auto Learn wiring if I’m going with the TPS y axis?

As far as point 5: so not having the VR would the "0" on the graph represent the stock ecu number and me adding or subtracting from "0" do the same for "stock" (ex. 0 + .12 would be the same as "stock" + .12)

Also: On the wiring diagram is that the correct order for the ignition wiring?
    Last edited by Tempest151; 30th-January-2019 at 09:44 PM.

The AFR Calibrator does allow you to alter the AFR's the OEM sees in closed loop so you can run more rich in closed loop than normal. Generally this is used for a NA to forced induction conversion so you can run more rich under boost in closed loop. If you need to adjust closed loop in NA configuration then you can still use the AFR Calibrator, it is just unusual.

Are you looking at MAF Elimination? That changes things but we still generally go with TPS Y-axis for NA applications.

You are correct regarding the VR interface, it will display 0 but you can add timing to the MAPECU3 timing table and it would be stock + 1 degree. BTW, there are no fractions of degrees.

The wiring diagram is for 1-3-4-2 firing order, is yours different?
    MAP-ECU Support

I already ordered the AFR calibrator and hope to add a turbo one day so I'm just going to add it.

I'm still looking to run in MAF intercept. So I still need to follow the manual for the MAF Elimination Auto Learn wiring.
    Also at what point should I have the mapecu3 learn? initial start up or make sure everything runs smoothly then do it?
    Wiring: When it comes to the wiring for the MAF I canít figure out where all the wires are going. Can you please help me on that? I included page 67 from the manual and labeled 3 of the 6 wires I think are right so far. I was using the Toyota 2TR-FE wiring diagram I supplied before.

That is my firing order I can see now the way the 18 pin connector ties into the stock wiring in that order.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tempest151; 31st-January-2019 at 02:00 PM.

I already ordered the AFR calibrator and hope to add a turbo one day so I'm just going to add it.
    OK, no problem. Nothing wrong with having it in the mix for when you need it.

'm still looking to run in MAF intercept. So I still need to follow the manual for the MAF Elimination Auto Learn wiring.
    Also at what point should I have the mapecu3 learn? initial start up or make sure everything runs smoothly then do it?
    I might need to clarify. Learn mode is *only* used for MAF Eliminate mode and is historic, we hardly use it anymore. It was first developed for the original MAPECU when we had no base tables so we had to install the unit in the vehicle and gather some base data to build a MAF Eliminate base table. The original MAPECU didn't have MAF Intercept mode either. These days we have so many MAF Eliminate base tables, we don't use it as we have a large library that we just modify one we have.
    Learn mode will not do anything for you in MAF Intercept mode, which is the recommended mode for your vehicle.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by MAP-ECU Man; 31st-January-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.
    MAP-ECU Support

Yes that information definitely helps. I won’t bother with the learn mode but I still need to wire for the MAF intercerpt setting I’ll be running and don’t know what pins to connect the wires to. Can you still help me on that?

Would getting a base table help me? It doesn’t seem like one is necessary and I will simply be adding or subtracting when it comes to timing and fuel.
    Last edited by Tempest151; 31st-January-2019 at 06:52 PM.